It all began in 2008
The Faculty of Information Studies is the first pillar of public higher education in the Southeast region of Slovenia, as it is the first faculty in Novo mesto. It is also the first public faculty not affiliated with any of the Slovenian universities. It was established pursuant to the Decree on The Establishment of the Faculty of Information Studies in Novo mesto, which was adopted on June 24 2008 by the National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia.
We started implementing the first study programmes in the 2008/09 academic year, in which 122 students were enrolled.
We currently have the following Bologna study programs of the first, second and third level accredited at FIS:
- Higher Professional study program Computer Sciencme and Web Technologies
- Higher Professional study program Informatics in Contemporary Society,
- Academic study program Informatics in Contemporary Society,
- Master’s study program Computer Science and Web Technologies
- Master’s study program Informatics in Contemporary society,
- Master’s study program Data Sciences,
- Doctoral study program Information Society.
Quality pedagogical and research work
Our lecturers and researchers have extensive knowledge in their fields of expertise, experience working on European projects and in business, and strive to constantly improve themselves. Through research, we enable students and lecturers to directly participate in the creative process, where they can develop new ideas, enrich the content of lectures or help solve problems of external clients. In our research work, we cooperate with the economy and other strategic partners, with whom we develop, modern, applied and development-oriented projects.
We strive for excellence
FIS recognizes its mission in education and knowledge transfer, the quality of which is decisively based on the pursuit of excellence in all areas. To fulfil our mission and contribution to a knowledge-based society, we want to incorporate the principles of the modern paradigm of quality and excellence into our daily working ethic. The quality of the FIS management system is based on the basic building blocks of the new organizational paradigm:
- Customer- or student-centric;
- Leadership and steadfastness of purpose;
- Management based on processes and facts;
- Development and inclusiveness of employees;
- Continuous learning, innovation and improvement;
- Developing partnerships;
- Social responsibility of the faculty.
Operational plan for improving the quality of FIS
FIS will implement a quality improvement plan through self-evaluation based on the Criteria for Monitoring, Determining and Assuring Quality or Higher Education Institutions, Study Programmes and Scientific Research, Artistic and Professional Work. Students who will be proposed to the Quality and Evaluation Commission by the Student Council will also be actively involved in the design and implementation of the FIS quality improvement operational plan. Cooperation with students will be established as part of the search for opportunities to improve the quality of all FIS activities. Self-evaluation procedures will be carried out every year in the following areas:
- Self-evaluation of the faculty as an institution;
- Self-evaluation of the implementation of study programmes;
- Self-evaluation of scientific research and professional work.
We invite you to join us as a student or lecturer to participate in our research or to use the expertise of our institutes.
Our vision and mission
The vision guides our actions and shows us the way forward, the mission describes our qualities. Together they define the faculty of Information Studies:
We are an academic institution that synthesizes social science, information and computer knowledge. We are building the foundations and broadening the horizons of modern society, to which we contribute through upbringing, education and research at the highest level. We are committed to achieving excellence. We are aware of our role in sustainable development in the local Dolenjska and Slovenian environment.